Pop Quiz:
What is Megaesophagus?
a. A long-necked dinosaur that lived during the Cretaceous period
b. A new R&B group made up of deep-voiced boy-band wannabes
c. A condition in which the esophagus muscles are enlarged & don't properly function
If you answered C, then you are correct!!
So... the next question... why does this matter?? Because my sweet baby Cricket has been diagnosed with the condition!! Basically, his esophagus is so large that it does not push the food down into his stomach. Instead, it stays in his esophagus and he eventually 'regurgitates' it. So yeah, we've been dealing with a dog that throws up ALL THE TIME. Fun times in the Robinson house. :)
Anyway, we will confirm the condition with X-rays some time this week. But until then, we have to feed Cricket soft food, watered down with about a cup of water. Then while he's eating, we have to hold him upright so 'gravity' pushes the food down into his stomach. THEN, for 30 minutes after he eats, we have to keep him upright. It looks something like this:
No, we're NOT feeding him at the table... this is after he eats. He's been doing better this week. He actually went all day yesterday (and so far today! fingers crossed!) without throwing up. I'm not really looking forward to the vet bill when we get the x-rays, and I'm still hoping his throwing up is something simpler (like doggie acid reflux??). I guess we'll see. I'll keep you posted.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Attack of the MEGAESOPHAGUS
Posted by Bruin and Nicole Robinson at 9:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What's up with our kids and their throwing up? What happened to eat, drink, and be merry?? Well...at least Eli's is liquidy and doesn't really smell...probably not true for Cricket. Anyway...good luck!
MD
PS - Like the new blog look!
I hate that for Cricket...and for you guys :( We'll say a prayer that it's not as serious as they think and that the vet decides to do the xrays for free!
Those pics of Bruin and Cricket are priceless.
You all are very dedicated doggie parents. Any idea as to why this is happening NOW? Hopefully this will clear up just as quickly as it has come about. Until then, B and Cricket look adorable at the table together. ;-)
I know this is tough for you both. I agree with the Cromers: Lots of prayer for a quick recovery. However, Cricket looks very compliant and admittedly quite distinquished in his "tuxedeo" look sitting upright at the table.
Take care. LYB
"tuxedo"...it's late....or early :)
Post a Comment