Cricket Update: We took him to the vet this past Saturday for X-rays to confirm the Megaesophagus diagnosis. Three X-rays and $175 later, our vet was not confident so he suggested we see a specialist to get an ultrasound. Bruin and I left feeling defeated… we LOVE our boys but the possibility of spending hundreds of dollars on a dog was just very very unsettling. Plus, this whole time, I just couldn’t come to terms with the diagnosis… I felt it was something simpler, like doggie acid reflux. I know I’m not a mother yet, but I feel like I already have ‘motherly’ instincts. I just couldn’t shake the feeling! So Monday, I got to talking to my co-worker, Matt, about the situation and how I felt it was acid reflux and he mentioned they are having issues with his little boy, Eli, and acid reflux. He said their doctor recommended feeding Eli smaller meals, more often, to avoid the stomach acid build up. Then it clicked… when the boys are at ‘camp’ (i.e. doggie day care), they get fed once a day. The last time they were there (during Christmas), I started feeding Cricket once a day, too… AND THAT’S AROUND THE SAME TIME HE STARTED GETTING REALLY SICK!!! HELLO?!? It makes perfect sense! Of course he’s throwing up after he eats; his belly is so full of acid, he just can’t keep all that food in there!! So on Matt’s suggestion, we immediately started feeding Cricket 3 small meals a day (in the morning, right when we get home and before we go to bed). And I’m happy to report Cricket is back to his ‘old’ self!! We’ve even put him back on dry food (thank goodness, cause canned food is expensive!!) and are no longer elevated it OR holding him upright after he eats. It’s only been a few days but I’m confident he’s better. He even told me so. :)
Now, Bruin and I have agreed, if he’s not completely better within the week, we WILL take him to the specialist. And I’m not saying doctors don’t know what they are talking about. I completely respect them. However, I know my baby. And I know he doesn’t have this terrible condition. I guess the moral of the story is: Trust your instincts. :)
Hi Everybody! I'm feeling better!! Woohoo!!
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Trust Your Instincts
Posted by Bruin and Nicole Robinson at 6:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is a very good outcome. Kudos for thinking beyond what the vet said and talking to others as well. I think one of the best resources for glitchy problems can be friends and co-workers. Thanks to Matt, too. I hope Cricket continues to improve. Brian looked pretty dismal holding him up to the table :) LYB and the "boys," too.
Great to hear! Tell Cricket I got his back!
MD
This picture doesn't really do him justice. You should have taken a picture of him doing his "Mario Andretti" around the lving/dining rooms instead to show him feeling better.
Well done! It just seemed so odd for this to start so out of the blue. Glad the pooch is back to normal and that you all can breath a little easier. Sick little ones are no fun! Even the canine variety.
P.S. You will find A LOT of similarities between mothering a baby and a dog.
Awe....awesome! So happy it's just acid reflux. Glad he's back to his old self again.
Dear Cricket,
I am glad your better. tell your mom and dad to give you lots of treats. lets play soon. Ruff Ruff.
Paws Up,
Truman Banks Brace
Post a Comment